Wednesday, December 4, 2013

2013: A Year in Review aka. It could have been a hell of a lot worse

Every year, as I approach my Birthday, I take some time to think about what I've accomplished, or in some cases not accomplished.  What I've done to get closer to my goals.  Who I've met.  How I've lived my life.

This year my review has been particularly difficult.  I'm turning 30 in a few weeks.  For the first time in my life I have felt utterly out of control.  My job has been crazy, and oh yeah, my apartment burned down.

But despite the chaos I've accomplished a few things.  They may be small but amid the craziness of my life these past months, those small accomplishments have been so dear to me because honestly, the way things have gone?  It could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Last year was "The Year of Therapy".  Despite losing my home and living in a situation that is not the most emotionally healthy, I'm not nearly the mess I could be.  No joke.  Yes, I've lost some of the progress I have made but I'm still in a better place psychologically today than I was before I began Therapy.  Despite my mother's efforts to the contrary.


My insomnia is all but cured.  I don't want to say totally cured because one I get back to a normal work/travel schedule it may go to shit again but for now, it's more common for me to get 6-7 hours of sleep a night than 3-4.  It may just be because I'm travelling so much more for work that I'm exhausted but I'll take it.

I've made an effort to talk to more people.  Yes, because of the fire and my moving out of the City, I've lost touch with some people.  But I've reconnected with others.  And the people I've been in contact with most have been incredibly supportive and I appreciate them every single day.

The biggest of all for me has been a direct result of the fire and has truly been a blessing in disguise.  A year ago I was stressing about money because I was turning 29 and was still looking at $17K in Student Debt.  I felt like the money I was putting onto my debt wasn't truly making a difference because I was paying disgusting amounts of interest.  If I put too much money on my debt, I found myself running short at the end of the month and relying on my Credit Card.  It sucked.  But living with my parents for 9 months has allowed me to all but eliminate it and I'm hoping to have the rest paid off within the next 3 months.  When you've been paying off a debt for almost 8 years, being this close to debt free is huge.  I mean HUGE!!!

So despite everything, 2013 hasn't been all that bad.  I mean I totally could have gone my entire life without losing my home to fire but you know what?  It's going to be fine in the end.

Cheers,

Ash

8 comments:

  1. Oh to have the student debt paid off! I envy you girl!! Good Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly has been the blessing in disguise with this whole thing. It feels fantastic to be this close. It means I can actually start SAVING money in 2014.

      Delete
  2. That's AMAZING! Congrats about the debt! I'm SO jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Every time I put another payment on it and it gets smaller I kinda squee inside.

      Delete
  3. You've had quite a wild year! I'm glad you've found the silver lining with the fire/living situation. Good for you on the student debt...mine is still in the $90K range (fuck you, grad school) and it's such a huge weight on my shoulders. Any time I have a little extra cash, I put a little towards it, even just $75 here and there. Every bit counts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd start hyperventilating if my debt was in the $90K range. I just had my BA and a College Certification to deal with. And that was bad enough. Every time I saw the Interest charges show up and compared it to how much I was paying monthly it made me want to CRY. It doesn't help that Toronto is disgustingly expensive to live in.

      Delete
    2. And that $90K is after 3 years of paying it off :) I went to business school which, in the US, runs about $120K for a 2-year program. I know it's an investment, but it's really hard to stomach sometimes. I hear ya on living in an expensive city! But I'd rather live in a place I like!

      Delete
    3. Yeah that's totally why I did my Business Certificate in College not University. Couldn't afford that and honestly would question how much it would actually advance my career.

      Delete