Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Girl Gamers

Hi, I'm a girl and I play video games.

Oooooooooooooooo.

For the longest time, I fully admit that I was one of those girls that only played Guitar Hero and Mario Kart.

Then I got a PS3.

Now, I totally understand how some hardcore gamers can go like 48 hours with no sleep living off of Cheetos and Red Bull.  Ok not REALLY, but you get what I mean.  You can totally lose time to this shit.  It's addictive, and fun, and did I mention addictive?

Now I've dated a few gamers in my time.  Back in the day, one of my boyfriends got pissed off at me because I beat him at a video game.  He wouldn't play with me after that.

Portal hurts my head. 
Another guy I dated was OBSESSED with Final Fantasy and played online.  It was a disaster because he played with people in different time zones and he essentially scheduled our entire relationship around when he had to be online.  It was sad.  And frustrating.  I was still in school at the time so I pretty much kept myself occupied studying while he played.  Despite that, the relationship didn't last long.

So for the longest time I had a negative reaction to video games.  I mean, I totally rocked Mario Brothers 3 on my NES when I was a kid.  Don't get me wrong.  And don't even get me going on when someone I knew introduced me to the crack that is Scribblenaughts.  But all of those weren't REALLY Video Games in my mind.  They definitely weren't in the same league as Assassins Creed (which I LOVE) and Call of Duty (which I don't necessarily love but still enjoy).

What got me hooked was Prince of Persia, Half Life 2 and Portal.  Then it was Assassins Creed,  inFamous, Modern Warfare 3, God of War and Uncharted (Nathan Drake is my Video Game Boyfriend).  I'm not even joking.

I've realized that not only are these games entertaining and challenging, but that they are works of art in terms of graphics and music.  I'm never going to be one of those people that lines up overnight for new release because honestly, I'm not the fastest gamer ever and I'm also not willing to spend $70 a pop on some of these games.  I'm perfectly content to wait a while and pick a used copy up for $20.

I'm also not big into the whole online gaming.  I'm not a great gamer.  I mean I'm never going to be able to pass an entire game in a few days.  A few weeks maybe.  But I enjoy it and I hold my own.  But I'm not willing to subject myself to the ass kicking I'm sure a 13 year old boy over the internet could deliver.   Also, guys are idiots and the second they realize a female gamer is online they lose their minds.


So I'm content to stay offline and play by myself.  Can you tell I was an only child?

But seriously.  Gaming has come a long way and although some people take it way too seriously, it can be fun and engaging.  I mean, what's better than being able to vent your frustrations by kicking the crap out of a troll?  Just do me a favor.  Come up for air once in a while?  Especially if you have a girlfriend.

Cheers,

Ash

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, one of the main contributing stressors to my marriage's downfall was my ex's OBSESSION with Everquest and World of Warcraft. He scheduled everything around gaming and played for hours and hours upon end. Go figure...he quit playing when we split. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like my ex. I remember one year he talked me into leaving my work Christmas Party early so he could be online for something FF related. He also scaled back the gaming not long after we broke up.

      It's fun as a form of entertainment but when it becomes so big of a part of your life that it takes away from other things? That's a problem.

      Delete
  2. I’ve also had friends and loved ones that I’ve lost to WoW or CoD.

    I’m a gamer like you. I love to play, could play for hours on end, but I don’t have any desire to play online. It’s occasionally fun to jump into an online multi-player mode. For maybe a half hour. A couple of times a year.

    But if I can be the sole player of the game – count me the fuck in.

    Assassin’s Creed is my favorite franchise, followed closely by the Fable franchise. I also love Mass Effect. Have you ever played Mass Effect? From some of the other games you’ve played I think you might like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I never go online. If I want to play with someone they can park their ass in my living room and do it the old fashioned way.

      Assassin's Creed is my fave but God of War is a close second. I'll check out Mass Effect.

      Delete
  3. Brian used to play a lot of Starcraft...but then he would get REALLY angry after he lost and he was not fun to be around...

    ReplyDelete