Monday, August 26, 2013

Things I Learned Watching The Amazing Race

I've mentioned it in the past, but let me remind you.   I'm sooooooooooo not a TV person.

I will pick a book over TV every single time.

Recently though with all this fire and apartment hunting bullshit, added onto the commute from hell and stress at work, I find I've been watching a bit of TV.  If like 2 hours a week counts as a bit.


One of those hours has recently been The Amazing Race Canada.

Now, I typically LOATHE reality TV, but I've watched the US version of The Amazing Race in the past because I'm a travel junkie and I love seeing some of the cool places they send contestants.  I've never watched a full season because typically the backstabbing and bullshit pisses me off.

Not to say that the same thing isn't true for the Canadian version.   I mean there are contestants on the show that I would seriously consider smacking the shit out of.

Despite the bullshit, I've actually learned a few key things.
Lake Louise, Alberta

1. My Country Rocks.  I mean seriously.  We have some gorgeous shit in this country.  I need to travel more within my own boarders.  'Cause really, who knew that Yellowknife was the best place in the world to view the Northern Lights. 

2. Never enter a competition with romantic partner (we're talking boyfriend or husband).  Why?  Because competition sometimes brings out the worst in people.  With something like this, you're under stress, you're tired and if one partner is stronger than the other not only do you have to deal with getting yourself through the challenges but you have to try and drag another person along with you.  And as we've seen, that other person may be stupid, wimpy or just plain annoying. 

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
3. You're stronger than you think.  I mean for those of you who don't watch the show (or for my lovely Americans), there is a contestant with Parkinson's, and a contestant that has 2 prosthetic legs.  This is a physical game.  If they can do it.  ANYONE can do it.

4. People can be pretty shitty.  One of the reasons why I don't watch reality TV is because things like Big Brother, The Bachelor and Honey Boo Boo make me lose faith in humanity.  I'm not really a competitive person so seeing how shitty people can be to each other in a game of this scale makes me kinda sad.  I'm one of those people that thinks the best man should always win, not the most manipulative. 

So what do you think.  Have you caught the Canadian version?  Have you watched the original?

Would you ever participate in something this crazy?  I'm fine with most of the challenges but I'm so not cool with heights so some of this stuff would be a big no-no for me.

Cheers,

Ash

16 comments:

  1. I love the Amazing Race (and Survivor) - anytime anyone bags reality television, I remind them of that the two shows that actually won Emmy's in production :)

    I always cringe when a new couple goes on the show to see how their relationship can survive, calling it "the true test." Um, no. The true test of a relationship is going through REAL tough times, not ones paid for by a TV network.

    But love, love this show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it because I feel like it's an actual competition, vs just a bunch of backstabbing.

      I truly believe that the best test for a new couple is for them to travel together. It's difficult. And totally different from living together.

      It's a great show. I'm so glad they've done a Canadian version.

      Delete
    2. Def agree that traveling is an important test. But traveling ON A TV SHOW, not so much :)

      Delete
    3. Any time you put your relationship through public TV I personally think you're asking for trouble.

      Delete
  2. Ashley,
    I am guessing you are Canadian? Where from exactly?
    My kid and I watch Amazing Race together. He has his fave (the brothers) and I have mine (the Montrealers, obviously). It's trash, but it's fun trash.
    Le From French Montreal Clown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Le Clown,

      I'm from Toronto actually. I typically loathe reality TV but I'm really enjoying The Amazing Race.

      I like the brothers as well. You're going for the Dr's? I find them frustrating. One, I don't need to be constantly reminded that they're not very physical and are playing a intellectual game. And if she cries one more time while he just goes, Hol...Hol...Hol! I'm going to scream.

      Delete
    2. Ashley,
      I agree about the Montrealers... But I am showing my loyalty to them whiners, as a fellow Montrealer. Lame? Absolutely.

      I have been many times to TO when I used to work for Fido... And I do love to state how much I hate the Leafs, even if I watch little hockey. Go Montreal!!
      Le Clown

      Delete
    3. Le Clown,

      Fido/Rogers is actually one of our clients (I work for a Business Consulting firm that focuses on Marketing).

      Don't worry, I hate the Leafs too, which could get a girl shot around here. Just to be contrary I'm a Detroit fan.

      Delete
    4. Ashley,
      And I used to work as the Fido Web Marketing manager. Are you with BOS? FCB? I am trying to think of other agencies we worked in TO... There was Elsevier, but we parted back in 1988 I think.
      Le Clown

      Delete
    5. Le Clown,
      Small world. We've only had Rogers/Fido as a client since 2004. I work for a private firm called SW+A. Not officially an agency, more strategic planning and branding.
      Ashley

      Delete
  3. Ash, I was THIS. CLOSE. to auditioning for The Amazing Race with one of my buddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude I would be all over that. I just don't deal well with heights. So any roadblocks that involve climbing things you're totally doing it.

      But seriously I'd actually be pretty good at something like this. I travel well, and am really good with maps and directions.

      Delete
  4. Like you, I think travelling is a good way to know if you and your partner are right for each other. The last time I traveled with a boyfriend, my parents picked us up at the airport. When we dropped him off at his apartment, as soon as he was out of the car I went "Oh thank god!" because I was so tired of being with him LOL. I can't imagine if we'd been in a competition on that trip! I'm far too competitive to put someone I love through that haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I traveled with a guy I was living with and wanted to kill him. He was high strung, fussy and paranoid.

      I've also traveled with friends that I wanted to kill. I went to Vegas with a friend of mine and when we got back I don't think I talked to him for 3 months because he was like an insane mother hen while we were there.

      Stuff like this is tricky for me because I'm competitive against myself, not so much into team sports so I have no idea how I'd do. But it would be fun as hell.

      Delete
    2. I really enjoyed TAR Canada! Suprisingly because some of the culture clash stuff in the US one makes me uncomfortable. I love reality tv though. Including Honey Boo Boo. She's just a charming, happy, silly child who loves hamming it up for the camera. I can think of way worse things in the universe.

      Delete
    3. I've tried to watch the US version and although I love some of the places they travel to, I agree, there's just something about it that doesn't sit well with me. It's also why I don't watch Big Brother.

      Delete