Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Oh The Humanity!

Occasionally I get very depressed about the state of Humanity.  I mean, I take public transit in a major city.  If that doesn't remind you how shitty human beings can be I don't know what will.

I get that everyone has varying concepts of what is polite or socially acceptable.  Everyone has a different work ethic or code of conduct that they live by and what their individual definition of respect is.

Is it the end of the world that one of my co-workers leaves early or comes in late whenever the boss isn't around?  No.  But it's sneaky and disrespectful of their boss and their co-workers who put in their full 9-5.

Is it a crime to not give an elderly lady or a pregnant woman your seat on the train?  No, but I'm guessing your momma taught you better.

Every once in a while, you see something that lifts your opinion of humanity.

But every once in a while, you see something that makes you feel so disgusted in people that you don't quite know how to deal with it.

Now I don't typically talk about news and current events but I came across something yesterday that horrified me.

It's been on all the news stations here and was even featured on Buzzfeed, that a Canadian woman received a hate letter from one of her "neighbors" regarding her autistic Grandson

Check out the article and read the letter at the end.

Are you horrified?

I don't even understand how someone could think those things let alone actually say that to another human being.  And this woman is a mother?  Are you kidding me?  I honestly can't comprehend how someone could be that shitty of a person.  And what is she teaching her children?  That people that are different will never be loved and should be EUTHANIZED?!?!?!?! Seriously!?!?!?  I can't even express how horrified I was when I read the full letter.  I can't even imagine how the parents feel. 

I honestly hope the police are able to track this chick down.  They're looking into if it's actually illegal but in my opinion, it should set a new precedent for harassment.  If karma exists, the contents of this letter would at minimum result in this woman's children being taken away from her because someone like that has no business raising children.

Cheers,

Ash

For Discussion:

1. Would you legally consider a letter like this harassment?

2. What do you think should be done to this author? (Don't say drag her ass down the street and lynch the bitch...I know it's tempting but let's stick within the boundaries of the law.)



4 comments:

  1. The person who wrote the letter is definitely a horrible human being and deserves to have karma teach him/her a lesson.

    However, legally, I don't think there's much the law can or necessarily SHOULD do. Yes, the author is a completely awful person who has no sense of common decency. But at this time, it is just ONE letter. A truly awful letter - but at the same time, she/he's not exactly threatening the child - suggesting that the parents do things to get rid of the child, but not threatening to personally harm the child.

    Like I said, it's a truly sad person who can show no empathy for the differences of other individuals and who feels the need to take out this kind of anger at a child who is completely incapable of standing up for himself.

    Personally, I feel this situation would be best resolved by the neighbors holding a community gathering wherein they address the letter and show solidarity for the family - making the awful person who wrote it see that SHE/HE is in the wrong and that SHE/HE is the one who should move or change his/her way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I think that it should be considered harassment because I can't believe someone could do something that horrible and have no repercussions. Apparently a bunch of neighbors have shown their support. What's so shitty is that the mom has advanced MS and the reason why he plays in the backyard instead of a park is because she can't keep up with him.

      Delete
  2. I can't even comment on the letter to the autistic mother without wanting to cry/kill someone. So I'll refrain.

    But I completely see your point. I really like to believe in the good in people, and I do think some type of universal morality exists. But it's really discouraging to be optimistic when you see people behaving horribly in your day to day life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, I cried as I was reading it. I really can't comprehend someone being THAT shitty of a person. In the days that followed it's been nice to see the community rally around this family.

      Delete