Monday, July 15, 2013

The Apartment Conundrum

OK so one of the buildings I have been waiting for finally has an availability.  On paper this place is great, great size, great price, great location.  Great.

In reality the lobby was great, the laundry room was great, the elevator was great, the apartment was pretty great despite some basic housekeeping issues but then again, a single guy was living there. 

What wasn't so great?

Ceiling tiles that were so waterlogged they were buckling and covered in black mould.

Mould?

Really?

We're not talking a coffee stain here.  We're talking MOULD!!!

That shit is serious. 

And the fact that they're not addressing it, is serious as well. 

I was shocked.  Based on the condition of the building it was so out of place.  I mean seriously out of place.  But mould doesn't grow overnight.  Well I guess TECHNICALLY it does but you know what I mean. 

Why aren't they dealing with it?  How long has it been like that?  How come none of the people on that floor are doing anything about it?  What does that mean in terms of them dealing with other issues?

There's another building with availabilities that I've been waiting for but I can't get anyone to call me back.  That place is just as good on paper and could be better if there isn't a similar issue on the same level as Mould.

What do I do?!?!

Cheers,

Ash

14 comments:

  1. What. The. Frick. Mold? Dude. What a mess. Here's hoping the next place isn't a health hazard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so shocked. I mean the rest of the place was in fantastic condition and then WTF is that black shit on the ceiling?!?!?!?

      Delete
    2. Not worth it IMO. Your health is more important. Did you ask them what they were doing about the mold problem?

      Delete
    3. I asked in an email today how long it had been going on and what was being done and got a very vague, it keeps returning. So clearly there's an issue in the ceiling that they are not dealing with. Just replacing the tiles doesn't cut it.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I wouldn't go back. that shit can really make you sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Which is why I"m so surprised that they're not dealing with the issue. And that other tenants haven't put up a serious stink about it. I mean that's City Health Inspector territory.

      Delete
  3. Ick! Definitely steer clear. Keep looking. One of the nicest things about living with your parents (as bad as that may be sometimes..) is you an take the time to find a place you like. Don't sign a lease in a place you won't be comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the upside, I just wish it wasn't taking as long as it's taking.

      Delete
  4. GROSS. Is there a housing authority or board you could call?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. But honestly, I don't want it to be my problem. And if the people living there are stupid enough to pay that amount of money each month and put up with it? They're idiots.

      Delete
  5. Yeah, don't take it! That stuff starts to smell. I've had apartments where I could smell mold in the exercise room and the leasing office and was shocked they never did anything about it. I think the smell is enough of a factor, besides the fact that you can get sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah mold can get dangerous especially if you have a weaker immune system. And in the humidity of summer I'm thinking it's a REALLY bad thing.

      Delete
  6. I forgot to come back at night and comment.

    I'm so freakin' annoyed for you, Ash. I want you to find dream apartment and live happily ever away from your parents.

    ReplyDelete