Thursday, April 18, 2013

My Life Has Turned Into A Shit Storm Of Epic Proportions

The title of this post pretty much sums it up.

So as you know, there was a fire in my apartment building on March 20th.  4 units were pretty severely damaged because a stupid woman on the floor below me left a candle lit on her bedside table and then decided to have a bath.  She got out of the bath to find her entire bedroom up in flames.

FUN!

I went through weeks of cleaning, repairs, more cleaning, having to pack up almost everything I own because every surface needed to be treated for smoke damage. 

Then there was an itty bitty crack in my bathroom plaster that resulted into a gaping abyss.

Then my bathroom light went wonky and I've been showering to the glow of a camping lantern for the last week.

Seriously, I couldn't make this shit up.

But yesterday things went from inconvenient to an utter Shit Storm.

Of EPIC Proportions.

I got a call from my building management that the unit next to me is one of the one's heavily damaged (they were almost directly above the fire so no surprise to my).  What was a surprise was that they are terminating my lease early because the repairs require them to rip down the adjoining wall between our units.  That wall happens to be my entire kitchen and part of my living room.

I need more details at this point in regards to how much time they legally need to provide me with to get out, as well as what their proposed plan is.

But bottom line, I need a new apartment and I need it like tomorrow.

Add on that I'm on a budget, live alone and don't want to, ya know, get shot on my walk home from work puts me in a very awkward position.

I kinda had a bit of a freaking out crying breakdown last night because I am utterly out of my depths and don't know what to do.  I'm hoping that people give notice May 1st that they are moving out and availabilities will crop up because right now there's nothing on the market I can afford or am willing to subject myself to.

I've emailed a few property managers to see if they will consider giving me approval priority on the chance that something becomes available May 1st on the hopes they will contact me before the listing goes public.  But that depends on people being caring and sympathetic to my situation.

I don't know what else to do honestly.

My worst case scenario is to put my stuff in storage and live with my parents for a few months till I can find a place but that's going to result in me either having to buy a car (no ideal) or dealing with a 2 hour commute each way from the Suburbs to the City.

Think happy thoughts people.  I need all the help I can get for the next month or so.

Cheers,

Ash

This is kinda how I feel at the moment. 


14 comments:

  1. DUDE! This sucks! I'll send all my spare good vibes to you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, living alone is so great in so many ways except when it comes to shit like this where you wish you had someone else just as invested in ameliorating the situation as you are. This totally sucks but it is going to work out. Promise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope so. I really hope so. Honestly I don't know what I will do if it doesn't work out. I mean I really can't think of it that way.

      Delete
  3. Thinking good thoughts for you, Ash.
    Sometimes life is unbearable and the only way to get through it is to remember: it always gets better. You might know when or how, but it will. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. Seriously. All the well wishes are awesome.

      Delete
  4. Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this! I know it must be stressful, but I'm confident you'll get something worked out one way or another. Thinking good thoughts for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no Ash, I'm so sorry :( That is a horrible predicament and I really hope you find a new place soon! It's so hard to be uprooted suddenly and without any say. It's great that you do have your parents as a back-up (even if it is not ideal). Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty shit but it's not like I'm going to end up on the streets.

      Delete
  6. That sounds horrible. You might need to find a lawyer so you don't get screwed. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the Landlord Tenant Board helps a lot. Especially considering what they're pushing to do is against the law. Legally they have to give me 120 days. End of story. They're just doing everything the hard way.

      Delete
  7. OMG, that sucks balls. I'm so sorry. :( If I lived in Toronto, I'd totally let you crash with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. Fingers crossed it gets better soon.

      Delete