Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I Just Want My House Back To NORMAL

I feel like all I've been writing about recently is fire and fluffy things. 

Fire
Fluffy Things
Fire
Fluffy Things
OMGWTFBBQ DOES IT NEVER END?!?!?!

Well fluffy things of course should never end because duh, fluffy things rock.

But sadly my life pretty still much revolves around what needs to be done post fire.  My front door is still a patched gong show that looks like a stiff breeze could knock it in but today YAY, the plaster in my bathroom was finally going to be fixed.

Pre-fire, there developed a crack in my bathroom ceiling.  2 years earlier the woman above me flooded her bathroom and it poured through her floors and damaged my ceiling.  They fixed it at the time but I'm sure all the extra moisture in the plaster did more than superficial damage.  So the crack got bigger and bigger till finally little chunks of plaster started to fall on my head ever time I took a shower.

I put a notice in to my superintendent but I'm sure with all the chaos it totally got forgotten about.

Till today.

I got notice last night that not only were they inspecting my place post fire clean-up, but that they were testing the fire alarms in all the units and someone would be by to fix my plaster.

YAY!!

What looked like a simple crack in the ceiling turned into THIS:


Holy crap on a cracker right?

So the awesome repair dude wanted to investigate.  He said it looked like the plaster was starting to warp which considering the flood was 2 years ago shouldn't be happening.  So after he ripped a MASSIVE hole open in my ceiling and wall, he had my super go upstairs to the apartment above me and splash water all over their tiles. 

And guess what?  Their tiles are leaking badly into the walls which is trickling down and fucking up my bathroom ceiling.

Solution?  Tomorrow they're going to re-tile their shower area.  Let it dry and come back maybe on Friday to fix my plaster. 

So for the rest of the week I get to shower with this over my head.


Sounds like fun right?

Ug.  And did I mention that when the repair guy first showed up, he flipped on my bathroom light only for the fixture to pop and short out?  He ended up having to replace my light switch.  Oh and apparently the taps in my tub drip because the tiles they used in my bathroom are too thick and the handles can't quite shut the flow of water off. 

These are both issues that I've reported before and their solution has always only been to replace my light bulb in the bathroom and tighten the knobs in my tub. 

FINALLY someone is doing their job and looking at the root cause.  But really, could nothing else break for a while?  Please?  Cause I'd really REALLY like my life to get back to normal soon.

Cheers,

Ash


9 comments:

  1. Blurgh! Home repairs stress me out because I don't really know how to deal with big things, short of calling the landlord. It's good though that they are trying to fix problems than put a band-aid on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they're finally fixing this stuff for good but at the same time, WTF. I love my apartment but I'm almost at my breaking point with shit going wrong.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I hate apartment living. Hoping things get resolved for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. It really hit home with the fire how much you can't trust your neighbors.

      Delete
  3. I HATE repairs. I want this to end for you soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too hun. Me too. Hopefully this last thing will be fixed by Friday? Maybe Monday? Then I still need a locksmith to finish the crap with my door.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! I hope they're done with your repairs soon! On the brightside, hopefully you won't have a whole bunch more problems after it all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah the upside is that everything is going to be AWESOME once it's all done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to look for other areas that might be having the same problem. It is an eye sore but the problem may not be as hard as it seems. Get some quotes from professionals and see of the budget permits. Sometimes you get value for money when skilled labor does the job.

    ReplyDelete