Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Spring Forward My ASS....I want that hour back!

I miss sleep.

No, I'm not kidding.

I REALLY miss sleep.

Sleep is one of those things that you don't realize how important it is until you're not getting any.

By then it's too late, because at that point you're in hell and your brain has turned to mush.

Everyone remember Fight Club?  Yeah, that's what happens when you don't sleep.  You shoot yourself in the face.

I've written before about being an insomniac.  And I still have good nights and bad nights.

Recently I've had more bad nights than I prefer. 

I don't like the fact that I'm so used to being sleep deprived that I can function on less than 3 hours of sleep.

I mean shouldn't your brain explode at that point?

All of this comes back to the fact that Daylight Savings Time SUCKS.  Anything that screws with my very precarious sleep situation is a bad thing. 

My body is screwed up enough.  I don't need anything to make it worse for me.

People bitch and complain about DTS all the time.  And then there's the people that fire back and say, "It's just an hour you're not really missing sleep at all it's just shifting."

I call bullshit on that.  Because despite getting up what feels like an hour earlier in the morning, I'm not going to bed any earlier because the whole thing has fucked with my system.

And trust me, when you only get 4-5 hours of sleep on average,  1 hour is A LOT!

Cheers,

Ash



9 comments:

  1. Have you tried going to a doctor about it? A neurologist might be a good bet (if your insurance will pay for it). Nowadays there are a lot of milder drugs out there that might help your brain "calm the H*ll down" so that you can fall asleep. I'm by no means a doctor, but anything is worth trying. If you've already gone this route, then sorry for the rambling and bossy comment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to sleep clinics multiple times over the years. There's nothing wrong with me other than yeah, I have an overactive brain and I have periods of high stress. I've been put on prescription sleeping pills a few times with the hopes that it will kick my body into a regular sleep pattern but no joke, they make me drowsy but I still won't fall asleep.

      I have good days and bad days, thankfully it's nowhere near as bad as it was a few years ago.

      Delete
  2. Rx sleeping pills have the opposite effect on me - it's really strange. Except for ambien. Ambien will knock me on my ass. I'm with ya. I want that extra hour back. I don't want to wake up in the dark! It screws with my body for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My body doesn't like things like sleeping pills, anesthesia or anything other than Advil. No joke when I had to have my cavity filled my dentist had to freeze the same tooth 3 times because I could still feel it.

      My Doc is also kinda anti med. She's a bit of a hippie which in the long run is great but every once in a while I'm like dammit woman can't you just make this shit go away with a pill!

      Delete
  3. I’ve been staying up later than I should as well. Before Daylight Savings Time I would be asleep by 10:30 or 11 to get up easily at 5 or 6 the next morning. Now, if I fall asleep by midnight it’s a miracle and I’m not crawling out of bed until 7. Damn time change! . . . Although I do like how much sunlight I get to see when I’m off work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ug, getting up at 5 is never a good thing for me even if I were to go to bed at 9.

      I do love that it's daylight when I go to work and when I come home.

      Delete
    2. Ya know, right now, the light at the end of the day doesn't even make up for getting up in the dark in the morning.

      Delete
    3. LOL, I used to be the same way, Ash. But something about the last few months I wake up at 4:30 and I'm like "Ok, I've got a few hours to kill before work. What now..."

      Haha obx, give it a few weeks and it won't be dark in the morning anymore!

      Delete
    4. Oh lord I wish. I have to drag myself out of bed at 6:30 and it's painful.

      I would kill to be a morning person, I'd be one of those up and at the gym before work people. Now at most I manage to cuddle with my cat for 10 minutes and MAYBE make myself a cup of tea before I jump in the shower.

      Teach me your morning ways Obi-wan!

      Delete