Friday, March 22, 2013

Burning Down the House - LITERALLY

Sadly there shall be no Fluffy Thing Friday today as I am currently trapped at my parents house because there was a fire in my apartment building.

Wednesday night one of the apartments below me caught fire because a dumbass left a candle burning in her bedroom.  When she got out of the bathroom her whole bed had caught fire and shit went from bad to HOLY CRAP THERE'S A FIRE.

Home Sweet Home
I was reading in my pj's and when I heard the alarms stuck my face in the hallway and the smoke had already started to come up to my floor.

I grabbed my cellphone and my furbaby Jasper and got the hell out of dodge. 

We hid out in the building next door till just after 1am before the fire department would even let us back in to get some belongings. 

None of us could really stay because the smoke smell was overwhelming and you couldn't breathe. 

Thankfully my parents don't live too far away and my dad was able to come get me.

Other than 6 hours of cleaning I had to do yesterday to get the smoke residue out of my apartment all is well.

Oh and I have to wash every single think I own to get rid of the awesome campfire smell.

Fingers crossed when I go back on the weekend the smell is better.  They have crews going to clean and wash and basically gut the place so fingers crossed. 

Cheers,

Ash

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/03/20/forty_people_evacuated_after_threealarm_fire_in_westend_apartment.html

When the fire department kicks in a door.  They really kick in a door.  My whole frame and all my locks were blown right off.

My floors LOOKED ok till I pulled the rug back.  I guess the smoke came up through the cracks around the pipes under the sink because the kitchen and near the front door was the worst.


The inside of my cupboards look like this.  No that's no light.  That's the imprint of where things were sitting.


Moral of the story people.  Never EVER leave a candle unattended. 

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! We had a fire in our house when I was in junior high, and we had to get rid of everything cloth and basically start over. The fire itself was small and, thanks to our brave neighbors who went into our house with a garden hose before the fire department could get there, it was put out fairly quickly. But the soot was EVERYWHERE! It sucks and I hope you're back on your feet and into your own place again quickly. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. I feel like I've been doing laundry for a week. At some point I think I shouted out loud "why do I own so many effing socks?"

      It's pretty scary and I'm glad that yours was put out quickly.

      I've never seen this amount of destruction before so in the grand scheme of things I got very lucky.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, I'm so glad you are okay! Scary business! This is something that makes me very paranoid about living in an apartment...my well being is reliant in some measure on the responsibility of others! So glad your apartment is overall okay and I hope you get to go home soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my mom always saying when I was a teenager and first started driving. "You I trust, it's the other idiots I'm afraid of."

      You'd think that people would be smart enough to not leave a burning candle next to their bed and then leave the room but oh well. Sadly they learned their lesson the hard way.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you and Jasp are OK. So friggin' scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that's so scary! Glad you're ok! I'm also in a multi-unit building and really worry about the irresponsibility of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those things that I hadn't really thought of before. It was scary though because you don't realize how fast a room can burn. I mean who knew an entire bed could go up in flames in like a minute?!?!

      Delete
  5. My god! So glad you guys are ok!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. We're both doing good. The furball gets a little vacation at my parent's house till the clean-up and repairs are done.

      Delete