Tuesday, December 18, 2012

The Holidays and Being Alone

There's nothing quite like the holiday season to really make it hit home, that you're alone.

Don't get me wrong.  I'll be spending my Birthday, Christmas and Boxing Day with my parents.  And I'll see my Aunts and Uncles on Christmas Day.  But it's not quite the same thing.

When you hit the age where your friends have paired off and are getting married, their priorities start to shift.  And as they should.  But it tends to result in the "single friend" being left behind.

Everyone's too busy around the holidays to get together for Birthday drinks.  And New Years plans are starting to shift towards doing thing with close family vs going out for a night of debauchery like us girls used to.

So although I'm getting together with friends to see a movie, and will probably have a lunch date.  Other than working, I'm doing nothing for the holidays.

In all honesty, it will be a nice break from the craziness that has been my job recently.

Part of it is the whole turning 29 thing, part of it is probably just feeling sorry for myself.

I just can't seem to get enthused about the holidays this year when I really have nothing to look forward to celebrating.

Cheers,

Ash

Kinda feeling like this cat looks

11 comments:

  1. When is your birthday? If you were in Chicago, I'd totally go drinking with you!

    I love Christmas but hate New Years Eve. I think there's so much expectation out into an amateur night. I'd rather sit at home doing nothing. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. December 24th baby. I'd totally go drinking with you. Last year I went out drinking for my birthday with a friend and she abandoned me at the bar so she could go home with a dude she met 20 minutes before. http://www.thatashgirl.com/2011/12/night-out-featuring-martinis-disco.html No shit.

      I hate New Years. I don't want to deal with drunks or crowds. But it looks like it's just me and Jasper this year which is making me just want to go to bed early.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind Christmas because I will spend it with my family, but I really kind of hate New Year's. I never end up wanting to do the party/bar thing, so I often end up just staying at home. It's not terrible in and of itself, but the perception of it...for some reason it bothers me! Like I need to be ashamed I stayed home on my own for NY's Eve. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Christmas and my Birthday will be with family but I hate admitting to people who ask, that I'm staying home on New Years by myself.

      Delete
    2. I'm staying at home by myself on NYE... why don't we all live in the same city? :) I feel so lame when I tell people I don't have plans. I mean, I'm a social, outgoing, and slightly boozy lady all year round. So what if I don't want to spend $100 to get into a bar that I could enter for free every other day of the year?

      Delete
    3. I know, it would be awesome if we lived in the same city. I refuse to do the whole bar thing too. Too expensive and the idiots tend to come out. My parents want me to head to their place....I'm like.....um...no.

      Delete
  3. How about you all fly/drive to Iowa for NYE and I'll make us a lovely feast and provide much champagne and wine for us to guzzle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL that would be awesome. I wish all of us lived closer together.

      Delete
  4. I wish so much that you were closer. I doubt I'll do anything for Christmas and for many years, I stayed home for NYE because I just hated the whole bar/party scene. Sending you love from DC!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON MONDAY!! And Happy Festivus tomorrow!

    I hear ya on being alone this time of year. Since my family doesn't celebrate any holiday this time of year, I feel 'excluded' from all the festivity... doesn't help that my family's a 4-hr flight away of course. NYE is the worst holiday ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYE and Valentine's Day...the worst holiday's ever.

      Delete