Monday, November 5, 2012

Have I Mentioned I Hate Christmas?

OK, let me rephrase.  I don't hate Christmas in and of itself.  What I hate is the 2 months of Ho Ho Ho BULLSHIT that the media, retail and nutjobs shove down your throats for the 2 months BEFORE Christmas.

Case in point.  On Halloween, I saw my first Christmas commercial on TV while I was actually watching "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown."

WTF?!

And then, I was flipping channels and came across an infomercial for bloody artificial Christmas Trees.  ON HALLOWEEN!!  Is nothing sacred anymore people??

On the morning of November 1st, there were carols on in the stores, and all the displays of Christmas Stuff was going up right next to the displays of discounted Halloween candy. 

What's the rush people?

I remember back in the day, there was no Christmas stuff in stores or on TV till the Santa Clause Parade, which is usually around the same time as the US Thanksgiving. 

Why did things change?  Do we really NEED 2 months of Jingle Bells running through our brains?

People obviously don't need that much time to shop because the stores are still packed on the 23rd and 24th so obviously it hasn't stopped people from leaving everything to the last minute.

I think as a society we need to put our foot down.  Christmas should be for the month of December only.  No other holiday requires 2 month of prep time.  All it is, is a fantastic money grab from the retail sector and an attempt to increase sales.  What happened to the spirit of Christmas? 

Personally I think the spirit of Christmas got lost while being chased by zombies on Halloween.  Serves him right for sticking his ass into a season that doesn't belong to him.

Cheers,

Ash

See Also -  Retail: The Death of Christmas

13 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll admit I like my Christmas on the early side, but not until after Halloween. We saw a target commercial before Halloween and Jim started yelling at the TV... "Why is nobody concerned about the GIANT DOG running down the street?!?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Christmas but if it starts too early, by the time it rolls around I'm just sick of it.

      Delete
  2. Hey Ash, there's an article in the Star today that Shopper's is nixing Christmas music in it's stores this year. I guess you'll be doing all your shopping there this year?

    I like Lindt chocolate they sell there...just a small hint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah apparently some mall got bitched at for playing them on the 1st already. Too many customers complained.

      I'm ok once December hits. Before then it's just excessive.

      Drop hints much? ;)

      Delete
    2. Too obvious? I'll work on being more subtle...

      Delete
    3. Oh no not all. Too sarcastic? Although if you're going to drop hints at least be specific.

      Delete
    4. You? Sarcastic? Nope. And I was specific. Think.

      Delete
    5. Just as an FYI, Shopper's sells the Lindt bars, balls and bunnies. So :P

      I MAY recall discussion at a previous date of 2 different flavored bars.

      Delete
  3. Haha you should read Dr. Grumpy's blog. He has a great entry on this. This is so simple to me: October = Halloween; November = Thanksgiving (in the US); December = Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Dr.Grumpy. I don't think I've seen that one though.

      That is a perfect break down.

      Delete
  4. I'll admit...Christmas thoughts are cheerfully racing through my brain...but defo not until after Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once it starts to snow I'll get into it more. But I draw the line at anything being before Halloween.

      Delete