Monday, October 22, 2012

Tissues, Vicks and Bambi Legs aka. Having the flu

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING worse than being sick.

Today is my first day back out in the world after having spent the last 4 days in bed.  And not for the fun reasons.  I had the flu.  That meant 4 days of fever, chills, muscle aches, sore throat, stuffed up nose, coughing and sneezing.

We're talking the whole nine yards here people.

Now I don't get sick that often anymore.  Usually the sniffles or a bit of a sore throat, but nothing worth missing work for.  But every once in a while, I get nailed with the cold to end all colds.

Last year around this time was Pneumonia.  FUN.

This year, it was the year of the flu.

And the one thing that I never drag my butt into work over, is a fever.

Having a fever sucks.   Not only is it horrible during the actual fever, but the aftermath is almost as bad.

My fever was at it's worst late Thursday/early Friday.  By the time it broke, I felt like someone had hit me with a truck.  Repeatedly.  I pretty much spent all of Thursday and Friday in bed, Saturday I alternated between bed and couch.  It wasn't till Sunday that I actually stayed out of bed all day. 

Now I haven't taken a sick-day from work in just over a year.  And here I was, taking 2 days off plus a weekend to recover.  But man did I need it.  I mean for me to be sleeping, probably 14 hours a day is INSANE.  I was either a lot sicker than I imagined, or my body was simply that run down and being sick was it's way of forcing me to slow the heck down.

Now 4 days in bed, with a fever and very little food can do a number on your body.  By the time I was functioning on Sunday not only did I still feel like I was hit by a truck, but I had earlier made the attempt to do laundry.  I figured, nothing would be better right now than fresh sheets on my bed.  Right?  Wrong.  What would have been better was keeping my ass in bed because after walking up and down the stairs to the laundry room, I felt like a combination of Bambi-on-ice + a little old lady who had run a marathon.  I was actually shaking.  My muscles felt weak, my joints were stiff.  I felt like I was going to pass out.

FROM WALKING UP THE STAIRS.

How scary is that?

Now the up side is that I am drastically better today than I have felt in quite a while.  For once, I'm not exhausted.  I'm still a little sniffly and I have a nasty cough but I don't FEEL sick.  And that's a huge improvement in my books.

The moral of the story is, take care of yourselves people.  If you're sick, stay home.  Don't go to the office and possibly infect others.  Take the rest you need to get yourselves better because nobody benefits from you overworking yourselves when your ill.  Especially you.

Cheers,

Ash

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that sounds miserable! I'm really glad to hear you're feeling better, though. Hope you feel better each day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO. The flu is the WORST. Knock on wood, I haven't had that in years but this is a good reminder to go get my flu shot. Hugs to you. Yuck :( Hope you're feeling better, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I'm feeling better but not quite back at it full strength. Hopefully a few more good nights sleep and I'll be better than ever. I really think it was my body's way of making me take a mini-vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. Your body is trying to tell you something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have honestly never slept that much in my life. It was insane. I'd move to the couch, after 20 minutes I'd want to lie down on the couch and would end up just saying "Fuck it, I'm going back to bed."

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear that you're feeling better! Taking care of yourself is the most important thing ever. Ever.

    ReplyDelete