Tuesday, September 11, 2012

None Of Us Are As Young As We Used To Be

I've come to the realization that none of us are as young as we used to be.

And I'm not talking in actual years. I'm talking mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Think about it this way....

10 years ago, they still couldn't say "SHIT" on TV till after 10pm.  There was no nudity on TV, and most of the sexual content was obscure innuendo.

Not to sound like an old fart, but kids these days are exposed to way too much adult content on television, the Internet and movies.

There's stuff now in PG rated movies, that when I was a kid would result in an R rating. And does PG13 even exist anymore?

When did exposing kids to sex, violence and profanity become acceptable?

Nowadays, kids have access to more and more information and it's aging them mentally.  No 10 year old needs to know what oral sex is.  Under ANY circumstances.  Remember this on the news a few months ago? Third Graders Having Oral Sex Under School Desk

Yeah, I was more than a little horrified by that myself.

But it's not just kids.  I'm part of a generation of corporate climbers in their late 20s and early 30s that as a result of massive amounts of stress and over work, feel like they are a decade older than they actually are and are starting to get the health problems associated with it.  In Japan, it even has a name. Karoshi is death from overwork.  In most cases, death is a result of heart attack or stroke due to stress.  The first documented case was of a 29 year old, otherwise healthy male who dropped dead from a stroke.  

In an age where we are living longer, are we necessarily living better?  The retired generation is subject to even more issues.  The Baby Boomers are starting to retire and there are not enough workers in the labour force to support their loss.   People are holding off on retirement as long as possible because they either don't have a retirement plan, or lost theirs when the recession hit. Cancer is a huge threat because of all the crap we've consumed and these boomers are terrified of terminal illness and their inability to pay for long-term health care.

For me, I've always though that the quality of your life is more important than the length of it.  I would rather live a happy, healthy and full life to the age of 70 or 75 than live till I'm 90 but be crippled by disease or mental illness.  Disagree all you like, but I don't want to be an emotional or financial burden on my family. 

All in all, people in all generations either feel older than they are, or are acting older than they are.  I think both are equally horrible.  But in a time of information and technology, what's to stop it from continuing?

Cheers,

Ash

2 comments:

  1. I used to nanny a kiddo (who was 13) and she would inform me of all the "gossip" that included sex, drugs, and booze. With fifth graders. And when I say drugs, I'm not talking weed--I'm talking full blown hardcore stuff. I can't imagine life without a childhood, but that's what these kids get...

    That being said, I "nominated you" for a blog award dealie! You can accept it or not, either way--it's basically me saying, "Hey! You're cool!" Visit my post today to accept your award :)

    http://quirkychrissy.com/2012/09/12/major-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a girl who let her little sister (who's 7) watch Sex in the City 2, the movie. And said she just blocked her eyes during nudity. Um hello, what's the point of blocking here eyes when she's HEARING everything.

      Btw...HOLY CRAP woman. That's so cool!

      Delete