Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Look Ma, I got an award! The Liebster Blog Award.

When I started this blog, I did so with the intention of improving my writing and just putting my thoughts out there.  I never imagined that I would meet the cool people I've met.  We may not hang out over coffee, but these are my people.  I didn't know it before, but bloggers are MY PEOPLE.  The one's I know, they're a little awkward, a little neurotic and a whole lot funny.  What I've found binds us together, is that we all thought we were alone in this.  It wasn't till I started blogging that I realized that there are tons of people just like me, who share my fears, and quirks and passions.  And that they too feel the need to write about it.  Who knew something so simple would bring people together?

So that said, I am totally honored that two of my fellow bloggers have have given me the Liebster Award.


The Liebster Award is essentially the Blogger version of chain mail, but instead of promising money from Bill Gates, it is an opportunity to recognize bloggers that you enjoy.   The general rule is that you should award this to up and coming bloggers that you appreciate/enjoy/like as Liebster roughly translates from German to mean "beloved". 

Along with that, it's an opportunity to learn some things about your fellow bloggers by asking and answering some questions.  

Then in return, award this to other bloggers that you enjoy to recognize their work and to let them know that they are appreciated.  

And that is exactly how I feel.  Appreciated.

My girls Chrissy @ Quirky Chrissy and Ames at Onward and Upward have both passed on this fun award and I am honored to the depths of my heart to be acknowledged by two women that I respect equally for their strength and wit.  On a side note, Chrissy and Ames now follow each other's blogs and I take full credit for that in that they met in the comments section of my blog ;)  In turn, I have started following a few blogs that I found based via them as well.

So here are some of the questions they have asked me:

From Chrissy...
  • What is your favorite Dr. Seuss story? One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.  This is one of the lesser known Seuss books but when I was a kid I knew it by heart and loved it for all it's silliness.
Bump! Bump! Bump!
Did you ever ride a Wump?
We have a Wump with just one hump.
But we know a man called Mr. Gump.
Mr. gump has a seven hump Wump. So...
If you like to go Bump! Bump!
Just jump on the hump of the Wump of Gump
  • If your life were a movie what genre would it be? I would totally be a period drama.  You know me and my history-dork roots.  Think anything from Gone With The Wind to Shakespeare in Love.
  • What is the worst state in the union? Why? I'm Canadian so I think y'all are nuts.  Kidding.  No not really.  It's election time down in the US so it hurts my brain when I read articles in the New York Times mentioning things like "Legitimate Rape" and crap like that.  Right now, based on what I've read I'm going to say Arizona for this little gem of genius
  • Describe, in three sentences or less, your high school experience. I was smart and got good grades but wasn't one of the "smart kids", I also skipped school, smoked, listened to metal and had tattoos but wasn't one of the "bad kids" either.  Meant that I pretty much didn't belong with either group.
  • If you could sum yourself up in song lyrics, what song would it be? Wow, this is pretty hard.  I'm going to say "Dream a little dream of me" by the Mamas and the Papas 
"Sweet dreams till sunbeams find you. 
Sweet dreams that leave all worries behind you. 
But in your dreams whatever they be
Dream a little dream of me"
  • If you could travel through time and space, where and when would you go? Medieval England/Scotland.  And can I be accompanied by the Doctor?
  • What is the best Halloween costume you’ve ever had? Keep in mind what I said above about me in high school.  When I was in the 12th grade I went as a suicide victim.  I basically turned myself into a ghost with pale make-up but carried around a noose, and put bloody gauze around my wrists.  I think back and go OMG, how insensitive can you be?  And then I just laugh because I went to a Catholic School and teachers were not impressed by my creativity.
  • What are your top 3 vices? Ooooo.  I procrastinate too much.  Never at work, but when it comes to my personal life, some things get put off as long as humanly possible.  I also curse too much but I'm getting better at that.  Lastly I'm guilty of not always giving my honest opinion of something/someone.  I'm one of those people that tries to cushion the truth so I don't offend or hurt someones feelings but I've realized that that does not help them.  Being cruel is one thing, but not being honest and letting something to something stupid is just as wrong. 
  • How much time do you spend on the interwebs? A decent amount.  I do a lot of online work for my job doing research as well as running the company website/blog.  Add to that my own blogging and the fact that I truly believe that Google can tell me everything, I'd say a decent amount more than sums it up.
  • If you could give yourself any title/rank/leader of any country/object/or whatever you want, what would it be? (Ex: I am the Empress of the Internet). This is hilarious.  Years ago, a friend of mine dubbed me "Her Royal Highness, the Duchess of Dork" so I'm claiming that title officially.
  • What is your biggest pet peeve? Rudeness. That includes people doing rude things in public, people not saying thank you, people not using common courtesy to strangers in public.  All of the above.  Did your mama not teach you manners? 
From Ames...

  • What was the best day of your life? Is it sad that I don't have a good answer for this?  I don't really have that OMG moment in my life yet that I will always remember.  I mean I will never forget the day I graduated from University, the day I adopted my kitten, the day I met my best friend.  But I'm not sure those qualify.  In my heart, they all mattered to me but not on the EPIC scale that I imagine the best day of my life being.
  • Are you more introverted or extroverted? I'm totally an introvert.  I may come across as talkative and funny and outgoing but at heart, I'm shy and insecure and question EVERYTHING I say and do which makes me feel really awkward.
  • What are you most passionate about in your life? Words.  Reading, writing.  If it's written, I love it.
  • What's the longest romantic relationship you've ever been in? 5 years.  It didn't end well and I still bear the mental and emotional scars.
  • What's one thing you would change about yourself? I wish I didn't criticize and second guess myself so much.  In my head I'm constantly telling myself that I shouldn't say something, or do something or wear something or eat something.  Not only is it emotionally draining but sometimes it stops me from doing things I really want to do.  If I had listened to the voice in my head that said, "Nobody is going to give a shit what you have to say." I never would have started this blog.
  • What is your best personality characteristic? I'm incredibly loyal.  When the people I love need me, I am there no matter what.  Doesn't matter if you're sick, depressed, broke, stressed out.  I will always be there to listen/support/do anything for my friends when they are in need.
  • What are your top 5 favorite movies? Gone With the Wind, Love Actually, Across the Universe, Pirate Radio and Bambi.  Yes Bambi.  Don't judge me!
  • Where's the coolest place you've ever traveled? The Scottish Highlands.
  • What are a few things you want to do before you die? Travel more.  Find my place in the world.  Write a book.
  • What's one of your biggest regrets? That I allowed my ex to emotionally stunt me and my opinion of myself.  I've never blogged about this in depth but my ex made me so insecure about my own intelligence and accomplishments that I didn't go to my University Commencement Ceremony to receive my Bachelor's Degree because he convinced me that doing so would just be arrogant and bragging because he did not graduate.  Instead they mailed me my diploma.  Asshole.  I'll never get that moment back.
  • What's one of your biggest accomplishments? Completing a 4-Year Honors Degree at University in 3 years while working full time and dating an asshole that made me question everything about myself while maintaining my sanity.  

Now, in terms of reciprocating, here's some blogs that I enjoy and why.  Now most of these are established blogs but I'd also like to call out some of the not-so-famous blogs that I enjoy.


The Bloggess 

Jenny Lawson started it all for me.  She made me realize that there were people out there that liked the funny/neurotic/kinda crazy people.

Onward and Upward

Ames was really my first "fan" that I didn't know personally.  As I read her blog and her comments, I realized how very similar we are and that it's possible to make "friends" with someone you've never met.

Quirky Chrissy

We share a love of gratuitous cat picture, OCD, and sarcasm.  What more could you ask for? 

Cerebral Milkshake


Motherfucking Snickerdoodles.  Enough said.

Bangable Dudes in History

What is NOT to love about this.  It feed my love of history with my love of the utter ridiculous.  I've actually come up with someone I want to submit to be added to the list, I just need to build a case. 

Once in A Blue DC Moon

I just recently found this blog because she also comments on Onwards and Upwards but once I found her I spent hours reading her old posts.  Not only am I incredibly impressed and inspired by the health/fitness/nutrition regime that she has take on, but I can totally relate to many of the things she talks about like online dating.  Love me, love my cat!!  

To the above mentioned bloggers.  You're all awesome and I feel a kinship with you that I never anticipated.  Long may we blog and in a perfect world, I would be able to sit with all of you over coffee and have a good chuckle.


Answer the following in the comments if I've awarded you, or if you're just a reader of this blog.  I'd like to get to know you all a bit better!!

1. What made you start blogging?
2. What is the one event in your life that either changed you for the better, or the worse?
3. What is your favorite book/book series of all time?
5. What is your biggest Pet Peeve?
6. What is your greatest fear?
7. What do you consider to be your biggest accomplishment?
8. What do you want to accomplish the most in your life?



Cheers,

Ash

4 comments:

  1. Very similar regrets for me. Those things just suck. I also love your biggest pet peeve - I'm the same way. I'll actually say, "you're welcome" if I hold the door for someone and they don't say thank you. just be nice, you a-holes, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too, I'll shout "You're welcome" in the worst tone of voice I can manage.

      The one that constantly confuses me is people who walk down the sidewalk and 1 - go as slow as humanly possible and 2 - zig and zag around rather than walking in a straight line which makes it almost impossible to pass them. These people are usually wearing headphones or looking at their cellphone. That's when I yell "Excuse me, slow moving vehicles to the right please!!"

      Delete
  2. I want to go back in time and punch your ex for his douchetasticness. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too hun. Me too. I'm just thankful that 1 we didn't get married and 2 that I only gave up 5 years of my life to him. Psychological abuse aside, it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

      Delete