Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Ladies and Gents, turn OFF your TVs!!

As I have mentioned in previous blogs, I am a self proclaimed Book Nerd. I have enjoyed reading since I was a little tater tot and the fascination with the written word has only grown as I aged. Not to say that I don't love movies and television as a source of entertainment and relaxation but I find myself reading more and more.

My mom was always a huge reader as well so choosing to read in the evenings rather than watching TV was not that uncommon. But I never disliked television.

I mean come on, I am part of a generation that can find an appropriate quote from The Simpson's for every occasion. I have seen some of the greatest shows in history come and go during my lifetime. But nowadays don't you notice that 99% of the stuff on TV is basically just....crap?

From what I can surmise, there are two distinct reason for the decline of TV as we know it.

1. Reality Television

Remember when reality television was pretty much only 'Survivor' and 'Fear Factor'? I do, and that was bad enough. I think society as a whole, took a step backwards with the advent of 'The Bachelor' or better yet 'Toddlers and Tiaras'.

Nowadays, we are are subjected to demotivating crap such as '16 and Pregnant', 'The Real Housewives of....' and various Kardashian based televised escapades.

Why people?

Do we not have anything better to do with our lives than support people who want nothing more than their 15 minutes of fame and in fact contribute nothing to society as a whole?

That brings me to my second reason.

2. Celebrities

Yes, celebrities. I'm talking about you Kim Kardashian and YOU Paris Hilton. Not to mention 'Access Hollywood', 'Entertainment Tonight', 'TMZ' and various other gossip rag news shows.

Why do we give a crap about who is dating whom,  and who got a haircut, or a tattoo or a divorce. I mean COME ON. Spend more time on your own lives and your own relationships then following some anorexic twits coke benders. I'm talking about YOU Lindsay Lohan!!

But really. Can the entertainment industry not come up with something better than multiple installments of 'CSI'?

Personally, I'm waiting for 'CSI: Alaska' or something equally ridiculous.

The exception to the rule has to be programming from AMC and HBO. Some of the best television I have seen in years has come from the likes of 'Mad Men', 'Breaking Bad', 'Game of Thrones' and 'The Newsroom'.

The question that begs to be asked is how can such varying levels of quality exist and what do we have to do to get less of one and more of the other? The simple answer is to stop watching the bad. Do yourself a favour and turn the TV off when all you can find is crap reality television. Turn the TV off and read a book or play a game or spend time with your family. Because as long as viewers support these shows, they will continue to be aired.

So support the good, but reject the bad, because trust me when I say that your brain can't afford to sacrifice any more cells to the horror that is Honey Boo Boo.

Cheers,

Ash

p.s. Can I just put it out there, that things like Toddlers and Tiaras, and Honey Boo Boo actually make me sad?  I mean most of the people watching, only do so to mock these people and that's unfortunate.  What's more unfortunate is that on shows like this, people who speak English, still need subtitles to be understood.  What is this world coming to?



8 comments:

  1. THANK YOU! I love the HBO shows and some BBC shows, but so much reality TV... Oi! It makes my brain bleed. I much prefer to spend my time with a good book or my piano than some of the horrid TV out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I really should have added Doctor Who to the list. Most of the crap on TV really is painful. Books are WAY better.

      Delete
  2. Im seriously, and i mean seriously considering getting rid of tv and just using netflix bc of how mich crap there is. Great post. I make a point to turnoff crap shows bc i dont want to perpetuate the crap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can not stand reality shows...they are the bane of TV these days.

    The majority of my TV watching is sports, especially hockey. So thank you very much spoiled owners and spoiled players...can we please get along so I can get back to watching my Leafs?

    The one new show we watch regularly is Big Bang Theory...it is usually well done and makes us laugh for most of the show. How I Met Your Mother is usually pretty good as is Modern Family. But that is about the end of the network shows that we like. I agree with HBO, Showcase, etc having better shows in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Big Bang but never liked Modern Family. Elliott embrace the hockey strike, it just delays having to watch the Leafs get their asses kicked. I have used it as an opportunity to enter an NFL pool so I can be distracted by big hig hulking rednecks beating the crap out of eachother.

      Delete
    2. True...but this is THE year! Just like last year, and the year before, and every frickin' year since before I was born. I just hope I'm alive to see them win.

      And I do watch NFL, but I'm sucking in the pool this year.

      Delete
    3. Pfft. I'm not gong to hold my breath. I am kicking ass in my pool because more that half the group got screwed by New England last Sunday.

      Delete
    4. Yep, I feel their pain.

      Delete