Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Things I Can't Live Without

I sometimes catch myself focusing on the things that I think I am lacking in my life.

To turn that around I want to take a minute to celebrate the things that I enjoy and that make me happy.
  • Music.  I'm serious.  I'm pretty sure that on some days, being able to block out the world and focus on music has saved my sanity
  • Books.  Total escapism.  I've never been a big TV fan because my brain comes up with much better stuff than any TV network ever could.  
  • Art.  I'm a member of the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) and enjoy going regularly.  I've always been drawn to visual arts purely because I lack any and all artistic skills. On Draw Something?  I rock the stick figure.  But taking a moment to just see something beautiful or thought provoking or creative just gets my brain stirring.
  • Tea.  I know I've already blogged about it but honestly, tea makes me happy.  It warms you when you're cold, it helps you when you're sick, soothes you when you're rattled.  Talk about comfort food.  It is literally liquid balm for my spirit.
  • Stupid People.  OK, hold on now.  I know you're thinking, "Really?  Stupid people make you happy?"  But let me break it down for you.  Whenever I see someone do something incredibly stupid or hear about people being stupid I always take a moment to reflect and think that no matter how hard I am on myself......at least I'm not that dude.  No matter how badly I screw something up, or how awkward I act, I now have a benchmark for stupidity that is constantly being updated by the fabulously stupid people I encounter on a regular basis.  It may be mean to use their misfortune to improve my mental state but it's not like I'm laughing in their face.  And if anything, they should be comforted that at least somebody benefited from their stupidity in a warped way.
Now I could wrap this up by saying that my friends and family are the most important thing in my life and that they make me happy but that's kind of a given.  Without support from our loved one's, none of us would really be anywhere or accomplish anything. But every once and a while, something simple or superficial just totally makes your day.

What makes you happy?

Cheers,

Ash
 

11 comments:

  1. Ash: totally with you on the music. Except I love music I know the lyrics to and can rock out to. One of the most therapeutic things I do (yes, I'm a freak) is listen to my iPod and clean and dance around my condo for HOURS. I get exercise AND I'm productive!

    Also, wine. I love love love wine. Even it were nonalcoholic, I would still totally be in love with it.

    Cheese. Can't live without cheese. The stinkier the better.

    My niece. I know it's also a given but she is the one person in this world I really don't think I could live without.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. While cleaning, that's when I pop music into my Bose system. Then I can rock out with the vacuum.

    I totally considered putting cheese on the list. Cheese makes everything better. And that's why I could never become a Vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, no. I could never give up cheese. I would use my stereo but my neighbors complain when my music shakes their walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol my neighbor blasts Katy Perry so I he has no right to complain. That and I'm reasonable about the time and volume.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. god. I also love that it's a "he" hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. Gay hairdresser. I'm not even joking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope. I don't think I could let a guy who I've seen take out the trash in his boxers cut my hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I agree with the tea comment. It can cure anything, well according to British way of life.
    but that also leads to my other thing I can't live without, my new tea Thermos. It have a tea infuser in it for loose lease tea. YUM!

    Music is high in my list but I need to sing too. I am totally tone deaf when it comes to singing, however shouting out a rock song helps with getting frustrations out and dealing with built up aggression but in the same breath a good ballad can stir up such strong emotions. I couldn't live with out singing it makes me so happy just to sing in my own little world

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree with your mention of music saving your sanity. I like how there is a song that fits almost every situation. I do need to read more. I'm trying to get through "Hunger Games." But the stupidity thing is classic. Nothing makes me more comfortable than seeing someone who is less. LOL.

    ReplyDelete