Saturday, April 16, 2011

Earworm: Or, Dear God why am I singing that song!

Last week I randomly caught myself humming Jingle Bells.

It's April.

I don't even really like Christmas.

It's called Earworm.

You know what I'm talking about.  That silly commercial jingle, the annoying pop song or even the last song you heard on the radio before getting out of your car. It gets stuck in your head and all of a sudden it's like a skipping record.  You find youself singing it over and over again.  Sometimes for a day, worst case scenario you're dealing with it for a week or more.

I'm so glad that there is an official term for this and that I'm not the only person this happens to.  'Cause it happens to me A LOT.

I'm a huge music fan.  My iPod has so many different varietieso music on it that most people are stunned.  Were talking Rock, Metal, Pop, Classic Country, Jazz, Classical, 60's Motown, 70's Rock, 80's Hair Bands, 90's Grunge, Broadway Showtunes and Disco.  Yes Disco.

I also work for a Marketing Consulting frim, so I tend to be very aware of commercials and advertisemens.

What makes it even worse is that I took music lessons for about 15 years and can play the paino by ear, which means that more often than not, I will remember a piece of music or lyics after having heard them once or twice.

Great skill to have as a musician, horrible for the person afflicted with earworm.

According to the theories, 98% of people have experienced earworm.  Women tend to experience it more often than men, and women tend to become more frustrated with it.

It also tends to be more common amongst people who have OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), which basically means I'm doomed to suffer from earworm for the rest of my life.  I have musical training, my gender and OCD all working against me. 

I've had 2 brutal experiences with Earworm that I will never forget.  These two experiences rise above all the others for the sheer length of the affliction as well as the annoyingness of the song.

1) In 2007 Kellogg's released a commercial for their new product "Vanilla Mini Wheats".  I sang that jingle every day for WEEKS.  It is the most annoying, cutsey tune in the world and by the end of it I was ready to write to Kellogg's just to tell them to go eff themselves. 

Now because I'm a sharing type of person here's the ad.



To this day, everytime I hear it I can't help but sing along.  Annoying isn't it?

2) In late 2008, The Discovery Channel released a promo with their new advertising campaign "I love the world."  It was a great ad, it incorporated many of the stars of the Discovery Channel's popular shows and wasn't annoying like the Mini-Wheats jingle but after over a month of singing it, I was about ready to loose my mind.  Luckily in this instance I was not alone, my mother and one of the girls I worked with ALSO had it stuck in their heads.  So although I wasn't suffering alone there were other people that just contributed to my agony.  It was a vicious circle.  I'd think it was finally out of my head, and the girl at work would walk by my desk humming it and the process would start all over again.



Whart are some songs you've had stuck in your head?

Cheers,

Ash

Boom-de-ya-da, Boom-de-yada, Boom-de-ya-da, Boom-de-ya-da!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you have done this to me....
    I am forever getting songs stuck in my head and now i have a new one!!!!

    Boom-de-ya-da, boom-de-ya-da. Ahhhh Ahhhhh

    ReplyDelete