Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Journey: Life without Coffee

This post is going to be short because honestly I don't have the brain capacity to do more than spell my name right now.

For the benefit of my health I've decided to give up caffeine. So decaf coffee only, decaf tea and no soda. NOTHING.

I understood that this would not be easy but OH MY GOD. I had an easier time quitting smoking.

So here's the basics.

I'm one of those people who's constantly doing a hundred different things at once and usually on very little sleep. I don't drink massive amounts of coffee but usually have at least 2 in the morning and at least 1 or 2 tea's during the day with the random soda. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things but when you're and insomniac, coffee keeps you going when you're pretty sure that your brain is going to ooze out of your ears at any given moment.


I know caffeine in medium to large amounts is bad for you. So I decided to give it up.

I've been told I will sleep better (YAY), my skin will look better (DOUBLE YAY), it will be easier to manage stress (WOO HOO!!!) and a bunch of other things.

So there I went. Off to live a caffeine free life.

Mistake #1) I started on a Monday. A busy Monday at that.

Mistake #2) I went cold turkey. No weaning myself off the coffee, if anything I had more coffee than usual on Sunday while having a chat with my friend.

Mistake #3) I underestimated the power of the caffeine.

So now I'm on Day 2 and honestly I feel like I've been run over by a truck. I'm tired. I've got a splitting headache and am generally a bit of a stressed out spazz.

I'm being strong though and haven't buckled and had some coffee.

My only hope is that the caffeine withdrawal wears off by the end of the week.

Wish me luck!!

Cheers,

Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment