Friday, December 17, 2010

Winter: A Love Hate-Relationship

I want to start off by stating that I'm Canadian.  If I didn't enjoy snow and winter, I would have packed up and migrated to a warmer country by now. 

With that in mind.....

OMG I hate winter, I hate snow, I hate people who don't know how to drive in the snow, I hate stupid people who walk around in the winter wearing inappropriate clothing because YOU MAKE ME FEEL COLDER.


What I wish the roads look like on a nice winters day.
Photographer: David Hartley/DHT
 OK.  So now that I got that out of my system let’s continue. 

Honestly, it's not the snow I hate.  It's what it does to traffic and for my own selfish purposes, the TTC.

Public transit during the winter can be a nightmare.   You spend anywhere from 3 minutes to 30 minutes waiting for your vehicle of choice to be jammed into a crowded and overly hot space with people who have questionable hygiene.  People are rude and impatient and generally think that they are the only ones in the city frustrated by the current accident/traffic jam/technical problem. 

Listen buddy.  We're all stuck here together so huffing and puffing about how you're running late isn't magically going to make things move any faster.  And implying that you're the only one who has somewhere important to be is insulting to the rest of us.  If you're so important why are you taking public transit anyway?  Did your BMW break down? 

What winter roads REALLY look like.
iStockphoto
This morning's commute was probably the worst I've experienced in a while.  An accident in an intersection meant that the streetcar could go no further.  So already running late for work I had to stand on the corner with about 100 other people and attempt to get a cab in rush hour on a Friday. 

I actually had to CALL a cab standing at the corner and even then the lines for an operator where backed up. 

When my cab gets there, not only do I get dirty looks from the other stranded passengers who were obviously too daft to do the same thing, I go to get into the cab and sink into a puddle of slush.

 Ewwwwwwwwwwww.

So now I'm cold, late for work, more than a little frustrated and getting the evil eye from Mr. Executive.

But at least I'm not standing on the corner in the snow anymore.

Happy Friday!

Oh, and the random rant about people wearing inappropriate clothing?  It's winter.  It's cold.  You live in Canada.  It was -24C with the wind-chill last week.  Do us all a favour and buy a hat, and gloves, and maybe even a scarf.  I'm not even going to start on the women walking around in Capri pants.  I know you just left the gym and are running to your car but OMG stop it!!!

Cheers,

Ash



No comments:

Post a Comment