Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Retail: The death of Christmas

Between being born on December 24th and being Catholic, TECHNICALLY I should love Christmas. 

But I don't.

And I blame retail.

I blame spending 8 years working retail.  I blame television advertisements.  I blame the decorations that they put up in the malls.

My little Christmas Tree
It's not the concept of Christmas I hate.  I love decorating a Christmas tree and baking cookies with my mom.  I love wrapping presents and watching White Christmas.  

I just dislike the fact that Christmas has become this commercial animal that spans months.

I remember when I was a kid.  The beginning of the Christmas season was the Santa Clause Parade. 

After that the decorations went up in the stores, the radio started playing Bing Crosby, the commercials on TV were all about Christmas and even the old man in red showed up in the Malls. 

This year I saw my first Christmas commercial in October about a week before Halloween.

How did that happen?

I mean I know that slowly Christmas has been taking up more and more of the calendar, and that retail businesses heavily rely on revenue generated during the holiday season but COME ON.  By the time it actually arrives we've had it shoved down our throats for months already.

At some point we have to draw the line.  I mean Thanksgiving is probably a reasonable marker for the beginning of the holiday season. 


So next year?  I'm kickin' it old school.  NOTHING Christmas related before December 1st and I hope you join me.  I'm tired of Christmas being about how much money you spend on a gift because newsflash.  Spending money does not make you a good person.  Instead do something nice for someone you care about.  Spend time with your family and friends and remember why Christmas is a time to be with your loved one's and not standing in line at the mall.


Lots of love,

Ash

1 comment:

  1. Love the tree - and I am with you...but then again, I only did put up our tree two weeks before Christmas! xoxo -G

    ReplyDelete