Monday, December 20, 2010

Getting Old: Reminiscing as my 26th year comes to an end

I came to the sad realization this past weekend that I'm not as young as I used to be.  Thankfully I'm not alone but will be joined in my dotage with the rest of my friends.

Note: I'm not actually "old"  I'm 26 going on 27. 

What brought on this revelation?  A party.  One of my friends holds an annual girls holiday sleep-over every year around this time.  It's a time for us to get together wearing obnoxious flannel pajamas and drink copious amounts of alcohol to celebrate the holidays while not having to worry about driving home. 

This year the first of us called it quits at 10:30pm and went to bed.

In her defense she's battling a cold but it spawned a conversation around the fact that we're just not as young as we used to be.

5 years ago, hell even 3 years ago, we would be out every weekend drinking, dancing or just talking until 4am without so much as a yawn.  Even during the week, going to bed before midnight was practically unheard of.  Most of us managed to go to University, study, hold down a part-time job, go to the gym, have a boyfriend, spend time with our girlfriends and manage it all on less that 5 hours of sleep a night while still finding time to argue with our parents.

I'm tired just writing that.  

Nowadays most of the people I know go to bed by 10:30pm during the week and even on a night out start to pack it in just after midnight.  Sleep has become a much higher priority.

We also can't drink as much as we used to.  

Not that that's a bad thing.  I'm sure our livers are doing it on purpose as payback for the abuse they've already endured.

But seriously.  When did 26 start to feel so old?  What have we done to ourselves?

We work too many hours, can't eat whatever we want, can't drink whatever we want, can't function on less than 7 hours of sleep, don't listen to our music as loud and have aches and pains from sleeping on a friends couch.  Some of us have noticed gray hairs and others are worried about premature wrinkles.  We see chiropractors and naturopaths and some of us are insomniacs  We worry about multivitamins and stretching before working out and if we remembered to wear sunscreen even in February.  Hell even marathon shopping takes a lot out of us nowadays.  I know people that are getting engaged, getting married, having babies and even getting divorced.  We're buying houses and worrying about investments.  Even high heels have become the enemy.

Have we burnt out this young?
How did it even happen?

Is it because many of us were over scheduled as children?   We went to school and balanced a lot of different activities at a young age.  We also started working very young.  I got my first part time job at 15 and amongst my friends that's pretty much the standard.  

Did our burnout start that early?  

All I really know for sure is that none of us expected to feel like this.

There's also this huge disconnect between us and the generation behind us.

I find myself thinking they're irresponsible, disrespectful, spoiled and ungrateful.  I know that's a huge generalization but I watch these kids every day on my way to work and know more than a few of them personally.  None of them think to hold a door open or give up a seat to an older person.  They have BlackBerries or iPhones, yet no jobs to pay for them.  

I'm 26 and yet when I see them I feel like an old lady shaking her head at these kids who don't know any better.  I've even caught myself saying things like "when I was your age." 
On that note, when I was your age Strawberry Shortcake, Bedazzler, neon everything and leg warmers were popular as well.  Only difference is that back in the 80s they were NEW and not RETRO. 

Wait a second!  How did this become a rant about teenagers?  See?  I forgot what I was talking about and went on a tangent.  A sure sign that I have a crotchety old lady hidden inside me just waiting to break out.

I should start wrapping this up anyway.  I need a nap ;)

Cheers,

Ash

2 comments:

  1. That has to be the funniest thing i have read, and the picture is perfect. The only difference is i am old, but i still feel the same way as about the younger generation.
    Pssst but i am sure my parents felt the same about my generation.
    Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 26?!?!?! I was just hitting my stride at that tender young age. Wait 'til you're 36 - ugh! Keep partying girl, the bod doesn't really start to collapse under the weight of gallons of alcohol until your mid-30s. LOVE the blog!

    ReplyDelete